frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diet

Apart from the usual healthy eating stuff has anyone got any personal experience of how particular foods affect them please ?

For example I have found avoiding the onion family (ie garlic spring leek etc) to be helpful

I believe it's something to do with a substance in onions etc which is capable of crossing the blood brain barrier

Comments

• Nurse told me olive oil is good for me since my accident and for sure makes physo more tolerable

olive oil with everything now but its expensive

• Onions and garlic help with my digestion. Olive oil is a must.

• I was borne in Nigeria where root vegetables were our staple diet. If I don t eat root vegetables regularly my left leg and hands gets stiff and my doctor says it is inflammatory arthritis.

• I too have found avoiding the onion family (garlic spring leek etc.) to be helpful in avoiding indigestion . It makes eating out difficult.

• I have had to stop eating bread as even toasted it bloats me. It’s only happened in the last few years but now I eat a lot of bananas.

• am a in a wheelchair with ibs and eggs and corn and brown bread help. Too many vegetables and onions not good

• I try to avoid processed food as much as possible and eat fresh vegetables. Since giving up junk food and eating healthier I have lost weight and no longer have inflammation around my knees and ankles. I love cheese but find that the pre sliced packs must contain something because although they are tasty the inflammation returns if I eat too many.

• That is interesting Haley because my late mother eat a lot of cheese and as she got older slice packs were easier for her to cope with and it was in her latter years that inflammation around her elbows and knees built up.

• Most of the food available in supermarkets is processed which is why we must all try to purchase fresh food locally. My father grows fresh vegetables and since moving back home 6 years ago my health has improved. I only eat white meat but never pork. When I was in hospital for 3 weeks last year the food was so bad that my father had to drive over 40 miles each day to bring me decent food.

• If I am feeling down I go to the chippy and OD on cod and chips.

Beats medication as it works every time

• On occasions comfort food does hit the spot but since reducing the amount of yeast in my diet fatigue is no longer an issue.

• Richard I am not sure what you mean by crossing the blood brain barrier and how avoiding the onion family is of benefit to you. What symptoms do you suffer from?

• Blood brain barrier is on various websites including Wikipedia

My food intolerance reactions seemed to lessen

My skin improved slightly

The onion family is hard to avoid as they are in a lot of my favourite foods

And nobodies perfect
  • Trying to maintain a balance diet became increasingly difficult when out and about so what I do now is to make sure that every day a good breakfast of cereal and fresh fruit, lots of fresh water and a few fruit snacks during the day and an evening meal such as pasta or rice is maintained. Since stopping drinking tea and coffee several times a day I feel and look much fitter.

Drinking lots of water has eliminated the frequent urinary infections which bugged me for years and I have more energy now that ever before in my life.

• My high blood pressure had dropped since cutting down on the amount of salt I eat. Something to do with water retention I believe.

• Oily fish for me. Try not to eat too much bread as yeast makes me tired too.